Concurrent Receipt for Chapter 61 Retirees
FRA strongly supports the
Administration’s recent proposal to expand Concurrent Retirement
and Disability Pay (CRDP) payments to include service members who were
medically retired with less than 20 years of service (Chapter 61
retirees). The plan will be phased-in over five years starting
- January 2010: Chapter 61 retirees with VA ratings of 90% or 100%;
- January 2011: Chapter 61 retirees with 70% or 80% VA ratings;
- January 2012: Chapter 61 retirees with 50% or 60% VA ratings;
- January 2013: Chapter 61 retirees with VA ratings of 30% or 40%; and
- January 2014: all Chapter 61 retirees with any VA rating become eligible.
This proposal advances FRA’s goal to provide concurrent receipt of full military retired pay and veterans’ disability compensation for all disabled retirees, and is outlined in detail in Tom Philpott’s syndicated “Military Update” column of May 21, 2009.