HVAC Discusses VA Budget Reform
The House Veterans Affairs Committee (HVAC) discussed legislation this week that would impact the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) budgetary process. The “Putting Veterans Funding First Act of 2013” (H.R. 813), a bill sponsored by Chairman Miller (Fla.) and Ranking Member Michael Michaud (Maine), would require Congress to fully fund the VA’s discretionary budget a year ahead of schedule to ensure all VA services have timely, predictable funding. Currently only VA heath care accounts, which comprise 86 percent of the budget, have a two-year funding cycle and this bi-partisan, FRA-supported bill would provide advanced funding for the remaining 14 percent. FRA believes that two-fiscal year budget authority is necessary for VA in an era where continuing resolutions (CR) and threats of government shutdowns are all too frequent.Members can use the FRA Action Center to ask their representative to support this important legislation.