Post-9/11 GI Bill Transfer Changes

Effective August 1, 2013, active duty personnel who choose to transfer Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits to a family member will be required to serve in uniform for an additional four years, regardless of the years already served. Current policy allows service members to transfer benefits if they had served at least six years and agreed to four additional years on active duty. Those who had 10 or more years of service could transfer the benefits without further commitment, but now they must also agree to serve four more years.

Transferability is only available to active duty members.  If a service member transferred the benefit and voluntarily leaves the military prior to completing the four additional years of service, he/she may be required to pay back those benefits. However, if the service member is involuntarily separated, they may be permitted to waive this requirement.

To apply to transfer the benefit, service members should first contact the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) to establish eligibility and then submit a transferability application.

Click here for additional information on GI Bill benefits.